The teaser of episode 1071 has been breaking the internet where Luffy truly awakens his devil fruit, something that the World leaders have always feared.
Gear 5 is Luffy’s latest Power-up, his Zenith of Might. It will be animated in Episode 1071, which will be released on the 6th of August. I can’t wait to see the final scene where Luffy finally defeats Kaidou with Gear 5 and takes on his Godly appearance.
With this spectacular performance of defeating a Yonko, Luffy is definitely on equal footing with legends like Whitebeard and Roger, if not higher.
1. Powers and Techniques granted in Gear 5
In Gear 5, Luffy reaches the pinnacle of strength and power. It allows him to utilize his Devil fruit’s power fully and enhances Luffy’s rubber-like abilities to a level beyond imagination.
Luffy has complete freedom and can transform any object he touches into rubber and manipulate it, making himself and others cartoonish. It will be a delight to watch once the episode is out.
He even gained immense speed, shown by fire tracks left behind after he ran. Let’s not forget how he increased the size of his fist to an island.
He was even able to grab Kaidou like a cat by his tail and thrash him around as if he were weightless. He even turned Kaido into a jumping rope. What a shameless sight for the mighty Yonko.
His body becomes extremely flexible, and his rubber becomes much stronger, as seen by his head wrapping around Kaidou’s Kanabo. He could even catch a dazzling lightning bolt and shoot it toward Kaidou.
As we know, Luffy’s Gears refer to different transformation forms that he utilizes to enhance his combat abilities. Here’s how Gear 5 is superior to all of them.
- Gear 2: Luffy increases his blood flow and boosts his speed and strength by pumping blood through his body at a higher rate. This results in a significant power increase but strains his body.
With Gear 5, Luffy can breathe in rhythm and can control how much blood flows in which part of his body. He can amp his blood pressure whenever he wants to match it to the intensity of the fight.
- Gear 3: Luffy inflates his bones, specifically his arms or legs, to increase their size and power. However, this form reduces his speed and agility. After this form, he would shrink into an exhausted chibi form.
However, with Gear 5, he doesnt even need to inflate himself. He can easily turn into any size he wants.
- Gear 4: Luffy coats his body in Haki and inflates it like a balloon, granting him immense power, enhanced speed, and elasticity.
He has different variations of Gear Fourth known as:
-Boundman (enhances intense attacks),
-Tankman (enhances defense),
-Snakeman (enhances speed).
This gear takes a huge toll on his stamina and leaves him drained.
With Gear 5, Luffy shrouded himself with Conquerer’s Haki and Armament Haki. Mind-blowing, isn’t it?
A. Primary Abilities in Gear 5
Here’s a list of the Primary abilities gained by Luffy in Gear 5.
- Gomu Gomu no Gigant or “Rubber Rubber Giant”: A technique with which Luffy can expand into a collusive Giant. This is the advanced version of Luffy’s Gear 3. Aka Gum-Gum Giant.
- Gomu Gomu no Fusen or “Rubber Rubber Balloon”: A technique where Luffy can become extremely buoyant and expand his body like a helium balloon. This is a variant of Luffy’s signature ability Aka Gum-Gum Balloon.
- Gomu Gomu no Bajrang Gun, or “Rubber Rubber Monkey God Gun,” is the Gear 5 version of Gomu Gomu no King Kong Gun. Here Luffy can inflate his fist to the size of Onigashima and makes a spectacle by amalgamating both armament and conqueror’s haki simultaneously. Aka Gum-Gum Bajrang Gun.
- Gomu Gomu no Dawn Whip or “Rubber Rubber White Whip”: In this technique, Luffy can stretch and harden his leg like a whip and swing it at his opponent. Aka Gum-Gum Dawn Whip.
- Gomu Gomu no Dawn Rocket or “Rubber Rubber White Rocket”: In this technique, Luffy can bend and shape his hand like a rocket and punch his opponent’s abdomen. Aka Gum-Gum Dawn Rocket.
- Gomu Gomu no Mogura Pistol or “Rubber Rubber Mole Gun”: In this technique, Luffy punches his fist into the floor, making his fist stretch and taking the opponent by surprise. Aka Gum-Gum Mole Pistol.
B. Situational Techniques
Luffy used these techniques depending on the situation of the fight, hence the name.
- Gomu Gomu no Kaminari or “Rubber Rubber Lightning”: In this technique, Luffy gives a lightning bolt properties of rubber and hurls it at the opponent. Aka Gum-Gum Lightning.
- Gomu Gomu no Dasshutsu Rocket or “Rubber Rubber Escape Rocket”: This technique was used by Luffy when he was trapped inside Kaidou’s body. He stretched his arm through Kaidou’s eyes and launched himself by grabbing onto his nose. Aka Gum-Gum Escape Rocket.
- Gomu Gomu no Nawatobi or “Rubber Rubber Skipping Rope”: This technique was used by Luffy when he was in his giant form. He grabbed Kaidou and used him as a skipping rope. Aka Gum-Gum Jump Rope.
2. What is Gear 5?
Gear 5 is the awakened form of his devil fruit Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Nika devil fruit, Luffy’s strongest Power-up, his pinnacle of strength, transforming him into the Sun God Nika.
His devil fruit was initially known as Gomu Gomu no Mi in the series, but in reality, Luffy possesses very unique fruit. In Chapter 1044, the Five Elders revealed that Luffy’s Devil Fruit was, in fact, the rare Human-Human fruit, and it’s not a Paramecia type.
It’s a mythical Zoan fruit, which makes the user transform and gain the abilities of the legendary Sun God Nika, also known as the “Warrior of Liberation,” putting smiles on faces far and wide.
Who’s-Who first mentioned it in Chapter 1018 of the manga. He heard the rumor from a prison guard who went missing right after revealing it.
This indicates that the world government didn’t want this secret to be revealed, as they had been searching for the legendary Human-Human fruit for over 800 years. Gorosei even commented on it being “the most ridiculous power in the world.”
To hide the fruit’s existence, the government went as far as to change the fruit’s name to “Gomu Gomu no Mi” and categorized it as a Paramecia so that it wouldn’t be found in the devil fruit Encyclopedia.
3. When did Luffy activate Gear 5?
Luffy activated Gear 5 in chapter 1044 of One Piece, which covered the Wano Country Arc, where Luffy clashes with Kaidou, aka “Kaido of the Beasts,” on the rooftop of Onigashima.
Just as the battle was getting really intense, Kaidou commended Luffy’s strength since he hadn’t had such fun and thrill since he last fought Oden.
However, they were interrupted by Guernica, an agent of the CP0, on the instructions of the world government, as the five elders knew Kaidou’s downfall would have significant repercussions on the world.
Guernica restrained Luffy in place, making him face Kaidou’s finishing blow, and Luffy was on the verge of death. Even Momonosuke commented that Luffy’s breath had disappeared.
But then the tables turned, and the real showdown Began, the event that the Five Elders feared most-Luffy finally having the “True” awakening of his Devil Fruit. This happened again for the first time after the Void century.
In the end, Luffy defeated Kaidou with an attack named “Gomu Gomu no Gigant,” where he transformed his fist to the size of an island, causing Kaidou to collapse on the earth with a massive crater.
He finally accepted that Luffy was the Joy boy, whom he had foreseen earlier who would bring his end.
Kaidou and Big Mom’s unconscious bodies fell through the crater, causing a volcanic eruption where Onigashima once stood. I can’t wait to get this scene animated in the next episode!
4. What happens to his appearance in Gear 5?
In Gear 5, Luffy’s appearance changes dramatically, and he resembles the Sun God Nika, the “Warrior of Liberation,” a legendary figure who would come to free the enslaved people and spread smiles all around.
Luffy’s hair, eyebrows, and clothes (excluding his straw hat, belt, and sandals) turn to a pure white color, a striking contrast to his crimson pupils, and to make him look more godly, even a white cloud hovers around his neck.
Interestingly, Nika was the former Joy Boy, the user of the devil fruit Gomu Gomu no Mi, also known as the Mythical Zoan Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Nika.
According to the legends, it was believed that Joy Boy would return again after 800 years after the Void century.
Luffy is the embodiment of the Sun God Nika and is destined to rescue the people in One Piece who are bounded by the shackles of the World Government and Celestial Dragons.
Luffy’s devil fruit grants him powers, abilities, and a resemblance to Nika. Hence, Luffy has been regarded as the New Joy Boy, the “Warrior of Liberation.” by Zunesha.
Zunesha even claimed that Luffy’s heart produces a sound known as the “Drums of Liberation.”. Luffy is granted complete freedom with a smile etched on his face.
5. When is the episode with Gear 5 being released?
Episode 1071 will be released on the 6th of August. I can’t wait to see the final scene where Luffy finally defeats Kaidou with Gear 5 and takes on his Godly appearance.
Here’s the teaser that’s been breaking the internet about episode 1071.