Central to One Piece’s story are the mystical and mysterious fruits, called Devil Fruits, that grant its consumer superhuman abilities and take away their ability to swim.
Quite interesting, isn’t it? Furthermore, these odd-looking edibles are entities of their own that provide users abilities that are unique to the fruit consumed.
The complex mechanisms surrounding Devil Fruits are still a mystery, however, Oda threw his readers a curveball regarding one of its aspects called the Awakening.
Since then, fans are still in the dark about this concept and are left in the mercy of the meagre information provided in the story and their own speculations.
The elaborate worldbuilding of One Piece is like an onion that one must peel through to understand. The layers come off slowly, with effort, and possibly resulting in a few tears by those engaged with the task.
But Oda’s brilliance in creating such an intricate world and captivating his readers really puts the calibre of this fantasy epic at a remarkable height.
One of the concepts that Oda’s introduced in the manga nearly 5 years ago continues to allude fans and provoke intense debates in community forums. Here is a complete guide on what is known about the Awakening of Devil Fruits!
1. Short Answer
The Awakening is a process that takes place within the Devil Fruit allowing its user to fully manifest the powers of the fruit. It is reflected through increased abilities and refined control over the abilities they possess.
The process seems to be applicable to all types of Devil Fruits however the prerequisites to achieving this stage is not yet confirmed.
Before we get into the complexities of the awakening, here is a refresher course on Devil Fruits.
2. What are Devil Fruits?
Devil Fruits or ‘Akuma no Mi’ are mysterious and mystical fruits in the world of One Piece that grant its consumer abilities unique to the fruit.
These consumers are called “Devil Fruit users” and they’re deprived of the ability to swim the moment they swallow a bite of this fruit.
The history and nature of the Devil Fruits are still unknown however it has been established that Devil Fruits have been in existence for eight centuries as the oldest Devil Fruit user, Kozuki Tori, was born 800 years ago.
Devil Fruits exist in a multitude of different forms, but they can be classified into three types.
- Zoan: Those that consume this type of Devil Fruits can transform their body into an animal. For example: Chopper, Kaido, Marco.
- Logia: Logia type users allow users to alter their form into a natural element and manipulate it at their will. For example: Blackbeard, Sabo, Akainu.
Paramecia: Paramecia type fruits are incredibly diverse and are broadly categorized as those that grant ‘superhuman abilities’ to its consumer. For example: Luffy, Trafalgar Law.
Anything that is not a Logia or a Zoan type can be classified as Paramecia. This can range from the ability to turn oneself into a jacket or generate tremors/quakes at will.
3. Moving on to… What is the Awakening of a Devil Fruit?
The aspect of “Awakening” of a Devil Fruit was not explicitly mentioned until Chapter 785 of the manga where Doflamingo touches upon this during his fight with Luffy.
He described it as “another stage to the powers of the Devil Fruit”. Doflamingo even claims that it is rare however some powers can ‘awaken’.
This piece of information by Doflamingo was enough to send fans into a spiral having been fed a completely new piece of information 700 chapters down the line.
Some believed that it was a relatively new concept that Oda pushed into the story to maintain intrigue but in retrospect, traces of this phenomena can be witnessed.
It seems to be a budding seed planted by Oda early into the story that is slowly unfolding to give readers an idea about the nature of the Devil Fruit.
Simply put, the awakening unlocks an advanced or special stage of the Devil Fruit which results in enhanced abilities, refined control, greater efficiency, and utilization of the ability at hand.
The way these abilities are given a boost depends on the kind of Devil Fruit the user possesses. Once a user consumes the fruit, they are at, what can be termed as, a basic stage with imperfect control over their Devil Fruit and limited access to its powers.
Those that achieve Awakening can access the full capacity of the Devil Fruit.
Crocodile even mentions earlier in the manga that the Jailer Beasts at Impel Down were “awakened” Zoan types which perfectly explains their strength and increased recovery time.
They are the first confirmed signs of awakened Devil Fruit users. At the time of their entry, readers were not given enough information (such as the awakening), to fully understand the nature of their powers.
Most importantly, Doflamingo implies that the Devil Fruit and the users are two separate entities. The description of the awakening places emphasis on the fruit rather than the user. So, it can be inferred that it is the fruit that awakens, not the user.
Now, I am sure with this information, your mind is buzzing with questions regarding its effects and what triggers it. Let us tackle these questions one by one so it is easily understandable!
3. So, What Happens After a Devil Fruit is Awakened?
The nature of the Devil Fruits is quite diverse and rich with information – as if they were a life of their own!
Therefore, there are no streamlined ways in which the Devil Fruit awakens. Each Devil Fruit, once awakened, plays to its strengths as way to further expand the capacities of the ability the fruit possesses.
I. Zoan Type Users
For example, Zoan type users rely heavily on their physical capabilities in battle. So, it makes perfect sense that once they are awakened, their physical capabilities such as – strength, durability, speed, recovery time – are all cranked up.
Interestingly, it is also seen that Zoan type users do not display any complex mode of thought once awakened, almost as if they are driven by instincts like animals.
Awakened Zoan type users also maintain forms that resemble their full beast form with human attributes. It is unknown whether this is characteristic of an awakened Zoan user or a choice on their part.
II. Logia Type Users
As for Logia users, the manga has not yet confirmed any Logia users to be awakened. But fans do speculate that since Logia users exercise elemental control, they probably can exert a permanent or drastic change to their environments.
This speculation is derived from the fight that took place between current Fleet Admiral Sakazuki and former admiral Kuzan on Punk Hazard. In their attempt to claim the position of Fleet Admiral, both Logia users subjected themselves to a death match that forever altered the island’s geography.
Even two years after the fight, half of the island is freezing due to Kuzan’s Hie Hie no Mi and the other half is burning due to Sakazuki’s Magu Magu no Mi.
III. Paramecia Type Users
However, Awakening in Paramecia type fruits is what truly reflects the diversity in its nature. Since there are diverse range of abilities categorized under Paramecia, it cannot have a standardized form of awakening.
Just because Doflamingo can turn things in his vicinity into string, does not mean users like Kelly Funk can turn other people into jackets once awakened. That would, honestly, be a tragic state of affairs.
This also calls into question whether all Devil Fruits can be awakened? How would a Devil Fruit like Jacket Jacket no Mi even ‘enhance’ its abilities? I’m very curious as to how Oda will explain that.
Anyway, back to Paramecia type users, the only awakened ones confirmed in the story are Doflamingo and Katakuri. They’re both generator type Paramecia users.
Doflamingo can generate string and Katakuri can generate mochi. Their awakened forms increased the range through which they could transform inorganic materials into strings and mochi respectively.
In their basic stage, it was only possible through direct contact, however, the awakened stage allows them to use the ground as transmutation and transform objects within a certain distance into strings or mochi.
Now, while films in the One Piece franchise are non-canon, they can certainly provide some information regarding concepts in the story.
Keeping this in mind, we have two more Paramecia users that are awakened users. Unlike Doflamingo and Katakuri, they are non-generator types. Gild Tesoro who uses the Goro Goro no Mi (manipulation of gold) can extend the range of his abilities to the entirety of his casino ship complex.
The ship almost seemed like an extension of his body.
Whereas Douglas Bullet, the user of Gasha Gasha no Mi can combine or break down inanimate objects to create new objects that he manipulates.
The awakening allows him to increase the range of objects accessible to him. They’re both good examples of how the awakening manifests in non-generator Paramecia type users.
The aim of the awakening is to further enhance the utilization or efficiency of the abilities, so it makes sense if the abilities evolved accordingly.
If we take Luffy’s Gomu Gomu no Mi as an example, what do you think would benefit Luffy in battle? The ability to transform objects in his environment into rubber or adopting properties of vulcanized rubber which can morph his body parts into weapons?
These properties can also help him maintain elasticity in increased temperatures and provide greater resistance in general.
We already see Luffy pushing the limits of his rubber properties and utilizing them in creative ways through gears in battle.
So, it only makes sense that the awakening unlocks potential in a similar manner. But that’s merely my speculation! We’ll have to read further to see how Oda tackles this.
4. How Can a User Awaken Their Devil Fruit, Though?
There is no official explanation provided on how one awakens their Devil Fruit however there are several speculations regarding how to access this stage.
Some of the criteria noted by fans are time, willpower, usage, and compatibility. These deductions are derived through observing confirmed awakened users.
Is it possible that time plays into a factor in awakening? It is seen that those who’ve achieved this stage of the Devil Fruit have possessed it for a really long time.
Let’s take Doflamingo for example. He is 41 years old and he ate the fruit when he was 10 years old. Therefore, he had the fruit for around 31 years. Whereas Katakuri had it for 43 years. He consumed it at the age of 5 and is currently 48 years old.
And if you take non-canon characters into analysis, Gild Tosoro had it for 12 years and Bullet had it for 32.
While this is speculative, it is possible that there is a certain time you need to cross to even reach the point where you can begin unlocking the awakening. Much like a boiling point. But is it the only factor? Likely not.
None of the criteria listed seem to exclusive ways to achieve awakening since there is no concrete evidence to support that notion. Buggy’s had the fruit for 20 years, yet he shows no sign of having awakened his Devil Fruit. So, what other circumstances could lead to awakening?
Another criterion is willpower. It’s perfectly plausible that the personality of the user comes into play. If one can persevere and push the limitations of their power, they’re likely to improve or unlock greater amount of power.
Haki could also play a role in maintaining that kind of willpower. While I am not suggesting that Haki itself is a prerequisite, it’s not mere coincidence that the two awakened Paramecia users also possess the rare ability of Conqueror’s Haki.
Sakazuki and Kuzan, though unconfirmed, do not have it. So, it’s possible that this ability creates an easier path to achieving Awakening rather than acting as a criterion.
The third criterion is usage. It’s extremely important how one trains and uses their abilities to push its limitations. If one remains well within their limitations even though they use the power excessively, they’re not going to improve their abilities.
We can take Buggy as an example again. He uses his powers constantly, yet we do not see any signs of Awakening in him. These are like bodyweight exercises, if you don’t input demands from a certain body part, it’s unlikely to build strength.
Therefore, one must stress their abilities in order to push beyond their limitations. Luffy is one such character who puts himself in situations where his limitations are tested which is possibly why fans speculate that he could awaken his Devil Fruit in the future.
And finally, compatibility. As Doflamingo mentions that the Devil Fruit and the user are 2 separate entities, it’s not far-fetched to assume that the compatibility between the two can unlock each other’s potential.
Imagine having a Devil Fruit but not stressing its abilities by training, that could very well lead to stagnancy and no advancement.
There’s also speculation that Raijin Island is constantly shrouded by lighting due to a former awakened user of the Goro Goro no Mi. And Enys Lobby has eternal daylight due to a former user of Kizaru’s Pika Pika no Mi.
If this is true, then it can truly shed light on the fact that the user also plays an important role in awakening the fruit’s powers. While these are just speculations, they’re quite interesting possibilities, nonetheless.
I. Can All Devil Fruits Be Awakened?
There is no information regarding this yet. It is likely that all types of Devil Fruits can be awakened in different ways however I’m unsure about whether specific Devil Fruits can awaken. And if they do, in what ways they’d awaken.
If we take the theory of compatibility of users in perspective, then it’s likely that all Devil Fruits have the potential to be awakened but it’s not necessary that they will.
Wapol’s Baku Baku no Mi allows him to eat anything and obtain its properties however the potential of this devil fruit is hindered by its consumer’s stupidity. It is very unlikely that he’ll be able to awaken Baku Baku no Mi.
5. Have a Look At The Confirmed List of Devil Fruit Awakenings
- Donquixote Doflamingo – a Paramecia user who can transform inorganic materials into strings in his immediate surroundings. In the awakened form, direct contact is no longer a criterion.
- Charlotte Katakuri – Similar to Doflamingo, Katakuri is a Paramecia user who can transform inanimate materials into mochi (Japanese rice cake). In the awakened form, he can increase the range of his abilities without contact being involved.
- Jailer Beasts of Impel Down – Jailer Beasts are Zoan type users that have enhanced physical capabilities in their awakened form. They permanently appear larger in size with great strength, endurance, and recovery rate.
- Gild Tesoro – He’s non-canon character that appears in One Piece: Gold film. He’s a Paramecia user that can manipulate gold. In awakened form, he can extend the range of his abilities.
- Douglas Bullet – He’s a non-canon antagonist that appears in One Piece: Stampede. He’s a Paramecia user that can create new objects by combining or breaking down inanimate objects. Like Tesoro, he can extend the range of his abilities in awakened form.
There are also Some potential Devil Fruit Awakenings. Check Them out!
- Minochihuahua – He’s the newest Jailer Beast at Impel Down. And it’s possible that like the other Jailer Beasts, he has also awakened his Devil Fruit that turns him into a giant chihuahua.
- Tony Tony Chopper – Chopper’s Monster Point form, an enhanced and enlarged form alludes to a partial or incomplete awakening due to the rumble balls he consumes.
- Kuzan and Sakazuki – Kuzan and Sakazuki are two Logia users that battled on Punk Hazard. The ramifications of which resulted in permanent alteration of the island’s climate.
- Crocodile – Fans believe that Crocodile is a candidate as he states during his fight with Luffy that he has ‘perfected’ his Devil Fruit. He also displays abilities to suck the moisture of any object. However, there are several aspects one must be cautious about before considering him. Aspects such as fan translations of manga taken literally while there is no implication of it in the official translations or in the anime. Furthermore, he seems to be an arrogant person who could just brag about training his skills. It’s possible that his unique abilities are an evolution of his power similar to Luffy’s gears.
- Ace – When Ace arrives on Drum Island, he affects the climate of the Island as it stops snowing. But, if we consider the novels, Ben Beckman states that Ace’s haki is so strong that it could melt the snow in his vicinity. Now that he’s passed away, we’ll never know whether he truly awakened his Devil Fruit.
- Brook – Just like Crocodile and Ace, Brook as a potential awakened user is debatable. Pots-timeskip Brook can employ soul-related powers that can damage other soul-based entities as seen with Big Mom’s homies. But his Paramecia type is also quite unique so it’s inconclusive.
- Whitebeard – Whitebeard must have had the Devil Fruit for over 30 years. In the Marineford arc, we witness him make quake bubbles on his naginata as well as his fists. These bubbles could direct damage to places in a distance.
- Dragon – Dragon is the leader of the Revolutionary Army whose strength is equivalent to those of the Yonkos. While his powers haven’t been revealed yet, it’s been noted that it has something to do with wind and manipulating weather.
- Kaido – Kaido is known as the strongest creature on land, sea, and air. He’s a mythical Zoan type user with enhanced physical capabilities akin to awakened Zoan users.
- Big Mom – Fans believe that Big Mom’s power of ‘Life Tax’ is the result of awakening her Devil Fruit. However, like Brook, this could also be a case of the uniqueness of her abilities.
6. Will Luffy Awaken His Devil Fruit? What Will It Look Like? (Theory)
The concept of Awakening was introduced 5 years ago giving the community ample time to debate on its nature, origins and what they mean for the story.
Given the fact that Luffy is the main character of One Piece, it wasn’t too long before he was dragged into these theories. There are several theories on whether Luffy will awaken his Devil Fruit and what it would look like.
The most popular and interesting one that seems to dominate in forums is the one where they claim that Luffy would achieve awakening once he perfects Gear 4th and incorporates Gear 5th in his combat.
The theory further claims that once he awakens the Devil Fruit through Gear 5th, he would be able to access the properties of vulcanized rubber.
This can, further, help him morph his body parts into weapons and use them in battle. Luffy’s development is one of the best trajectories to trace in attempting to understand the Awakening.
Through the years, he’s increased his battle strength by ‘gearing’ up and he’s also upgraded his physical capabilities such as speed, strength and toughness.
Rather than having Luffy affect his environment, his ability to adopt the properties of Vulcanized Rubber can really help him affectively utilize Red Hawks.
Vulcanized Rubber is a denser form of rubber with higher tensile strength, resistance to swelling and abrasion, and it can also maintain elasticity over greater range of temperatures.
Luffy also qualifies other determinants of willpower and usage – as he manages to push his powers to its limits and uses them in creative ways.
We’re unaware if the factor of time is actually a prerequisite in the story, however, if it is, then it may be a while before we see Luffy awaken his Devil Fruit. Currently, Luffy’s been in possession of the Devil Fruit for 12 years.
7. About One Piece
One Piece is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Eiichiro Oda. It has been serialized in Shueisha’s Weekly Shōnen Jump magazine since July 22, 1997.
The man who had acquired everything in this world, the Pirate King, is Gol D. Roger.
The final words he said at the execution tower were “My treasures? If you want it, I’ll let you have it. Look for it; I left all of it at that place.”
These words sent many to the seas, chasing their dreams, headed toward the Grand Line, in search of One Piece. Thus began a new age!
Seeking to be the greatest pirate in the world, young Monkey D. Luffy also heads toward the Grand Line in search of One Piece. His diverse crew is joining him along the way, consisting of a swordsman, marksman, navigator, cook, doctor, archaeologist, and cyborg-shipwright, this will be one memorable adventure.