Yabako Sandrovich’s Kengan Ashura was launched as a manga in 2012 and was illustrated by Daromeon. It was put up on the Manga ONE app and completed its storyline in August 2018. On its journey, this manga also won a fan voting contest in 2015 to become an animated adaptation. The anime premiered at the Anime Expo on July 31, 2018. With the first season available for streaming on Netflix, its second part (episodes 13 to 24) are set to be premiered on October 31, on the streaming service.
The official website for the animated adaptation recently announced 14 new roles that will be played by previously released cast members on Monday.
The list is as follows:
1. Akio Ohtsuka as Agito Kanō
2. Atsushi Ono as Yoshinari Karo
3. Mai Kanazawa as Honald
4. Naomi Kusumi as Yōhei Bandō
5. Tesshō Genda as Gensai Kuroki
6. Misao Kobayashi as Korinmaru Ajiro
7. Kōichi Gomi as Ken Ryūōzan
8. Shouzou Sasaki as Sanemitsu Yoroizuka
9. Ryota Takeuchi as Kirimi Takakaze
10. Yūsuke Hoshino as Masami Nezu
11. Yasunori Masutani as Yukio Dazai
12. Hiroshi Matsumoto as Kunihiro Yumeno
13. Kenta Miyake as Takeru Kiōzan
14. Masumi Yoshida as Karugo Kurachi
It will be directed by Seiji Kishi, best known for Danganronpa The Animation, at Larx Entertainment.
Other credits are as follows:
1. Makoto Uezu – Series Composition
2. Kazuaki Morita – Character Design
3. Yasuharu Takanashi (Team-MAX) – Music Composition
The theme song, titled “King & Ashley”, will be performed by MY FIRST STORY and the ending theme song called ‘Born This Way’, will be performed by BAD HOP.
The manga has also been an inspiration to Kengan Ultimate Battle, a smartphone game that launched earlier this spring.
The manga revolves around a strong and mysterious character Ōma Tokita, nicknamed Ashura. He is a combatant in the illegal unarmed hand-to-hand fights, called Kengan, that originated during the Edo Period. Nogi Group president Hideki Nogi keeps his ambitions to himself when he meets Ashura. Events begin to swirl around the Kengan fights as Ashura enters the fray.