In a multiyear deal on Thursday, Netflix further beefed up its film catalog and made it the new streaming home to Sony Pictures’ top releases in the US.
Beginning 2022, Sony’s new movies will stream domestically solely on Netflix after their theatrical runs.
These include popular franchises like Spider-Man, Venom, and Jumanji, and 2022 releases including Morbius, Where the Crawdads Sing, Uncharted, and Bullet Train.
|Escape Room 2
|January 7, 2022
|Taylor Russell and Logan Miller, Isabelle Fuhrman, Thomas Cocquerel, Holland Roden, Carlito Olivero and Indya Moore
|Columbia Pictures, Original Film, Working Title Films
|January 21, 2022
|Columbia Pictures, Marvel Entertainment
|February 18, 2022
|Tom Holland, Mark Wahlberg, Antonio Banderas, Sophia Taylor Ali and Tati Gabrielle
|Columbia Pictures, Atlas Entertainment, Arad Productions, PlayStation Productions
|Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2
|October 7, 2022
|Joaquim Dos Santos
|Shameik Moore and Hailee Steinfeld
|Columbia Pictures, Sony Pictures Animation, Marvel Entertainment, Lord Miller Productions, Pascal Pictures
|Brad Pitt, Brian Tyree Henry, Joey King, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Lady Gaga, Michael Shannon, Hiroyuki Sanada and Sandra Bullock
|Columbia Pictures, 87North Productions, Fuqua Films
|Where the Crawdads Sing
|No release date
|Hello Sunshine, 3000 Pictures
|Masters of the Universe
|Theatrically- 2022, Netflix- 2023
|September 24, 2021
|Bad Boys 4
|No release date
|Adil & Bilall
|Will Smith and Martin Lawrence
|Columbia Pictures, 2.0 Entertainment, Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer Films, Overbrook Entertainment
|No release date
|Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Karen Gillan and Kevin Hart
|Columbia Pictures, Seven Bucks Productions, Matt Tolmach Productions, The Detective Agency
The agreement provides Netflix a first-look option on any films that the studio based in Culver City, California authorizes to send instantly to streaming.
In a time of rapidly proliferating streaming services, this deal of a kind that in the past would have normally gone to premium cable networks, is an exception. Sony is the only big Hollywood studio without a streaming service of its own.
Walt Disney Co. has Disney+, AT&T and Warner Bros. have HBO Max, Comcast’s Universal Pictures has Peacock and ViacomCBS Paramount Pictures has Paramount+.
The deal made on Wednesday replaces a long-running pact between Sony and Starz.
Financial terms for the pact weren’t disclosed. During the pandemic, Sony sold Kevin Hart’s Fatherhood, The Mitchells vs. The Machines and Wish Dragon to Netflix. It sent Greyhound to Apple TV+ and American Pickle to HBO Max.
“Sony Pictures is a great partner and we are thrilled to expand our relationship through this forward-thinking agreement.”Scott Stuber, Netflix’s Global Film Head
“This not only allows us to bring their impressive slate of beloved film franchises and new IP to Netflix in the US, but it also establishes a new source of first-run films for Netflix movie lovers worldwide.”
The deep-pocketed Netflix has been aggressively expanding its film library streaming landscape. It also lately attained the rights to multiple Knives Out sequels in a contract that reportedly exceeds $450 million.
- Escape Room 2: An upcoming American psychological horror film directed by Adam Robitel and written by Bragi F. Schut and Maria Melnik. The film is a sequel to 2019’s Escape Room and stars Taylor Russell, Logan Miller, Isabelle Fuhrman, Thomas Cocquerel, Holland Roden, Carlito Olivero, and Indya Moore. The movie observes a group of six strangers who are invited to take part in a complicated escape room that soon turns into a nightmare.
- Morbius: An upcoming American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, produced by Columbia Pictures in association with Marvel. Biochemist Michael Morbius tries to cure himself of a rare blood disease, but when his experiment goes wrong, he inadvertently infects himself with a form of vampirism instead.
- Uncharted: An upcoming American action adventure film directed by Ruben Fleischer and written by Art Marcum and Matt Holloway. Serving as an adaptation of the video games of the same name created by Amy Hennig, the film stars Tom Holland as Nathan Drake, and Mark Wahlberg as his mentor Victor Sullivan, along with Antonio Banderas, Sophia Taylor Ali, and Tati Gabrielle in supporting roles.
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2: An upcoming American computer-animated superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Miles Morales/Spider-Man, produced by Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation in association with Marvel Entertainment.
- Bullet Train: An upcoming American action-thriller film directed by David Leitch. The film is based on the novel Maria Beetle by Kōtarō Isaka. It features an ensemble cast, led by Brad Pitt and Joey King.
- Where the Crawdads Sing: An upcoming film based on a 2018 novel of the same name by American author Delia Owens. The book topped The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers of 2019 and The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers of 2020 for a combined 32 non-consecutive weeks. The story follows two timelines that slowly intertwine. The first timeline describes the life and adventures of a young girl named Kya as she grows up isolated in the marsh of North Carolina from 1952 to1969. The second timeline follows a murder investigation of Chase Andrews, a local celebrity of Barkley Cove, a fictional coastal town of North Carolina.
- Masters of the Universe: He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe, goes against the evil Skeletor to save the planet Eternia and protect the secrets of Castle Grayskull.
- Venom 2: With Andy Serkis directing and Tom Hardy returning in the lead role of Eddie Brock (an investigative journalist playing host to an alien symbiote), Venom: Let there be Carnage is set to release on September 24, 2021.
- Bad Boys 4: Will Smith and Martin Lawrence reprise their starring roles in the film, which is directed by Adil & Bilall and written by Chris Bremner, Peter Craig and Joe Carnahan. The film’s cast also includes Paola Núñez, Vanessa Hudgens, Alexander Ludwig, Charles Melton, Kate del Castillo, Nicky Jam, and Joe Pantoliano. It was produced by Smith, Jerry Bruckheimer, and Doug Belgrad. In Bad Boys for Life, Miami detectives Mike Lowrey and Marcus Burnett investigate a string of murders tied to Lowrey’s troubled past.
- Jumanji 4: When Spencer goes missing, the gang returns to Jumanji to travel unexplored territories and help their friend escape the world’s most dangerous game.