Sailor Moon is the most iconic Shoujo anime of all time. If you haven’t heard of Sailor Moon in the anime community, what kind of isolated rock are you living under?
A nostalgia-inducing anime with an intricate plot, Sailor Moon, has no dull moment throughout the show. Every character has a significant role in the grand scheme of things.
As the years went by, Sailor Moon became more popular and did not lose its relevance. We can still relate to the 14-year-old quirky Usagi and dream of finding a mysterious Tuxedo Mask in our own lives. After decades of its release, Sailor Moon is the ultimate anime experience!
1. Sailor Moon Original Series
I. TV Series
- Season 1: Sailor Moon (1992–93)
- Episodes: 46
- Canon: 1, 8, 10, 19, 22, 25, 33-35, 44-46
- Mixed Canon/Filler: 13, 23-24, 36, 42
- Filler: 2-7, 9, 11-12, 14-18, 20-21, 26-32, 37-41, 43
- Season 2: Sailor Moon R (1993–94)
- Episodes: 43
- Canon: 60-61, 68, 72-75, 77, 82-88
- Mixed Canon/Filler: 62, 70-71, 76, 81
- Filler: 47-59, 63-67, 69, 78-80, 89
- Season 3: Sailor Moon S (1994–95)
- Episodes: 38
- Canon: 90, 92, 103, 105-106, 110-113, 119-126
- Mixed Canon/Filler: 91, 93, 101-102, 109, 115
- Filler: 94-100, 104, 107-108, 114, 116-118, 127
- Season 4: Sailor Moon Super S (1995–96)
- Episodes: 39
- Canon: 128, 130, 133, 135, 143, 148-150, 158, 160-166
- Mixed Canon/Filler: None
- Filler: 129, 131-132, 134, 136-142, 144-147, 151-157, 159
- Season 5: Sailor Moon Sailor Stars (1996–97)
- Episodes: 34
- Canon: 166-174, 179-182, 187-191, 193-200
- Mixed Canon/Filler: None
- Filler: 175-178, 183-186, 192
- Sailor Moon R: The Movie (1993)
- Sailor Moon S: The Movie (1994)
- Sailor Moon Super S: The Movie (1995)
2. Sailor Moon Crystal
I. TV Series
- Season 1: Dark Kingdom (2014–15)
- Episodes: 14
- Season 2: Black Moon (2015)
- Episodes: 12
- Season 3: Death Busters (2016)
- Episodes: 13
- Sailor Moon Eternal (upcoming, 2021)
3. Anime Arcs
I. Sailor Moon Original Series
- Season 1: Sailor Moon
- Dark Kingdom Arc
- Season 2: Sailor Moon R
- Black Moon Arc
- Season 3: Sailor Moon S
- Mugen/Infinity Arc
- Season 4: Sailor Moon Super S
- Yume/Dream Arc
- Season 2: Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
- Stars Arc
II. Sailor Moon Crystal
- Season 1: Dark Kingdom
- Dark Kingdom arc
- Season 2: Black Moon
- Black Moon arc
- Season 3: Death Busters
- Infinity arc
4. Which version should you watch?
It is tough to choose between the two series of Sailor Moon.
The original anime has a lot of fillers. You can skip them if you really want to, but it isn’t recommended. Sailor Moon Crystal, on the other hand, does not have any fillers and has a faster pace.
Season 3 of Sailor Moon Crystal does a better job of executing the infinity arc.
While the original anime does a great job in fleshing out the main characters, most of the villains are poorly done. Crystal has better villains, but the main cast did not develop as it should have.
Nothing compares to the animation of the original Sailor Moon! Besides, Season 1 and 2 of Sailor Moon Crystal have sloppy CGI, which is a major letdown.
The soundtrack of the original anime is so well-known that any other music just seems out of place. It is very catchy, and even though the soundtrack in Crystal is not bad, it isn’t very memorable.
You can choose to watch either of the two versions of Sailor Moon according to your preferences. However, it is highly recommended to watch Season 2: Sailor Moon R (original anime) and Season 3: Death Busters (crystal) regardless of the version you decide to watch.
4. Fillers: Watch or Skip?
The original Sailor Moon has tons of fillers. Although they seem to be unnecessary, they allow us to spend more time with the characters. As a result, the character development throughout the series is very fulfilling.
Important battles and events in the stories become more interesting to watch after these developments. If you decide to view the original anime, try not to skip fillers, at least in the first three!
The recommended order for watching Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon Crystal is the order they were released in.
You can skip the fillers of the original anime if they seem unnecessary to you. Movies should be watched after the completion of every season.
6. About Sailor Moon
Bishōjo Senshi Sērā Mūn or Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is based on the anime of the same name.
It follows the story of a 14-year-old girl, Usagi Tsukino, who is clumsy and underachieving. One day, she encounters a magical talking cat named Luna, who gives her the ability to transform into her magical alter ego, Sailor Moon.
Reluctant towards this colossal transformation, Usagi soon accepts her fate as she goes on a quest to defeat the evil forces of the Dark Kingdom. Through this experience, she makes friends, develops romance, and battles the evil. Her adventures continue as the earth continues to face many threats as the series progresses.Originally Written By Epic Dope