HBO Max was started on May 27, 2020, as a subscription video-on-demand streaming service by Warner Media Entertainment. The streaming service offers all of HBO’s shows along with its original content and some additional content.
Crunchyroll offered 17 anime series to HBO Max on its May 27 launch and assured new animes every quarter.
HBO Max added this list of new anime to its service in June:
- 37 episodes of Death Note ( June 23)
- First 99 Episodes of Hunter x Hunter ( June 23)
- Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fourth Plate ( June 30)
- Tower of God ( June 19)*
It added Tower of God’s episodes on a delayed schedule after their premiere on Crunchyroll.
HBO Max has been streaming the entire film library of Studio Ghibli, consisting of all their 21 feature films. Famous titles included within this library are
- Spirited Away
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Princess Mononoke
- Howl’s Moving Castle
- Kiki’s Delivery Service
- Castle in the Sky
- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
Along with the entire Studio Ghibli film library, the 17 anime series it featured from Crunchyroll were
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Re: ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Director’s Cut (including OVA)
- Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
- Rurouni Kenshin
- KonoSuba – God’s blessing on this wonderful world!! (seasons 1-2)
- Bungo Stray Dogs (seasons 1-3)
- Berserk (seasons 1-2)
- Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
- Kill la Kill
- Your Lie in April
- Schwarzes Marken
- 91 Days
- The Testament of Sister New Devil (seasons 1-2)
- Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers
Warner Media had previously announced a reorganization of its various divisions in March 2019, bringing many of its subsidiaries and brands including Other Media (Ellation, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, VRV), Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and Boomerang into a single unit called “Global Kids & Young Adults“.
As a part of the Global Kids & Young Adult Unit, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and Rooster Teeth will also offer their content on HBO Max.
HBO Max will cost $14.99 per month and promises to eventually offer 10,000 hours of content from various brands under WarnerMedia.